35 Things to Do Instead of Eating Sugar July 23, 2015 14:56
The word is finally getting out there. We are overloading our bodies with sugar and it is playing a huge part in today's health problems. The top two killers in America today are heart disease and cancer, both to a certain extent preventable!
The World Cancer Research Fund has estimated that up to one-third of cancer cases that occur in economically developed countries like the US are related to being overweight, obese, inactive or having poor nutrition.
Avoiding sugar in our food is hard. Especially if your diet is based around packaged foods. Have a look at the labels. There is sugar or a form of sugar in nearly everything some ways companies try to hide it is by calling it another name.
Look for high fructose corn syrup, dextran, ethyl maltol, glucose and maltodextrin to name a few. Check out this link to learn all the 57 names of sugar! Trying to kick your sugar habit is hard. Studies have shown that sugar affects the same receptors in the brain as drugs such as cocaine, making it highly addictive.
So, I have compiled a list of 35 things to do instead of eating sugar:
- Drink sparkling water with some fresh squeezed lemon
- Take a nap
- If at work, get up from your desk and walk around the office, say hi to your colleagues
- Go on a hike
- Give your pet a cuddle
- Brew yourself some herbal tea
- Take a shower/bath
- Paint your nails - or guys if your not into that - clip your nails and keep 'em clean
- Write a letter to a loved one that is near or far
- Clean up your email
- Have sex
- Plan a vacation
- Create a vision board
- Clean the house
- Foam roll and stretch
- Plan a dinner party
- Call a long lost friend
- Feng shui your home or office
- Unsubscribe from the incessant junk emails you get
- Sign up for CrossFit
- Find your next book to read
- Make a list of books you would like to read that will help you reach your goals
- Create short, medium and long term goals for eachof your values
- Define your values
- Figure out your why
- Read some blog posts!
- Look for places in your community to volunteer
- Build a fort with your kids or without them
- Find a new recipe to try
- Create next week's meal plan
- Do 10 burpees
- Call your mom
- Do a crossword or sudoko puzzle
Did I miss anything? What do you do when you have that sugar craving, give in or something else?